Getting cheap SR22 insurance in Texas is way easier then you may think. In this guide we’d like to cover all necessary information for you that you might need during the process.
What is SR22 insurance, who need SR22 in Texas, companies that provide SR22, owners / non-owners SR22 insurance, what exactly does SR22 cover, cost of SR22 in Texas, SR22 Forms and many more..
What is SR22 insurance?
SR22 insurance is the document that acquired by Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to be filed out by certified insurance agency in order to restore driving privileges due to driving license suspension for almost any reason.
Also, it is official certificate of financial responsibility, meaning that you are able to purchase and carry your own liability coverage.
Typically SR22 insurance in Texas or any other state required for 3 years. In your case it depends on court results.
SR22 is mandatory to maintain for a full assigned period of time in order to restore driving privileges.
What is in SR22 form?
Common SR22 form contains the following information:
- Driver’s license number
- Social Safety number
- Date of birth
- Vehicle details. (VIN etc.)
- Policy start and finish dates
What is the difference between regular car insurance and Texas SR22 insurance?
SR22 is not like regular car insurance and does not cover any expenses in case of an accident. It is only a certificate of financial responsibility and filled as addition to your regular vehicle insurance.
The key difference is in that your SR22 insurance provider is required by the government to inform the Public Security Texas Department that you policy lapse.
The main goal of SR22 certificate is that your state will be aware of your liability coverage on a road. In case you can’t afford it then you can’t legally drive.
Your license will be suspended immediately.
Can I add liability coverage to my SR22 policy in Texas?
Yes, it is possible to add liability protection to SR22. Standard coverage amounts are just like on regular car insurance. They start from $30,000 for every person.
It is also possible to increase coverage amount upon request. It depends on your requirements.
Who need SR22 insurance in Texas?
Overall we can say that people, who are considered as high-risk drivers, may be required to carry SR22 in Texas. Check out our list to see if it matches your case.
- Caught on driving under influence of alcohol or DUI.
- Driving without insurance or unable to provide a valid proof of insurance.
- Multiple traffic violations, reckless driving, you have also traffic accidents on your record.
- Driving while intoxicated or DWI. This is when you drive “high” under influence of marijuana or any other drug.
- Driving while your license is suspended or invalid. Or when driving without license at all.
Companies that provide SR22 insurance in Texas
As mentioned before, this type of insurance only for high risk drivers, that is why not every car insurance company is able to provide SR22.
Besides that, that company has to be licensed across multiple states in order to be able to provide best options on a market.
It is very important to find right SR22 consultant in Texas to be able to get out of penalties and driving suspensions as soon as possible.
What we offer?
Select Insurance Group specializes in getting affordable SR22 insurance solutions in Texas for more than 10 years. We have licensed agents that can guide through the process very professionally and save you time and money.
We are able to meet the needs of even the most difficult to insure drivers.
To get started – fill out our quote form and we will be contacting you promptly.
What is Non-Owner SR22 or What if I don’t own a vehicle and need SR22?
If you don’t own a vehicle but willing to reinstate your driver’s license you will need to purchase non owner SR22 policy. This will be additional certificate, like endorsement, to a regular non owner car insurance.
This policy will stand as your official certificate of financial responsibility. You should no longer have issues with liability claims of any kind.
If you plan on buying regular non-owners policy – there is no need to buy SR22 unless there will be an SR22 rider. If SR22 rider is you – then you need both: non-owner regular car insurance + non-owner SR22 insurance.
What are Texas SR22 forms?
There are three main types of certificates issued by Texas.
- Operator’s certificate – this policy aims to cover drivers that operate non-owned vehicles. So if you don’t own a vehicle that you drive – you will need operator’s certificate.
- Owner’s certificate – this policy will take care of all vehicles that owned by driver. Details about owned car need to be stated in SR22 form.
- Operator-Owner Certificate – this type of certificate will cover non-owned and owned vehicles that driver may use.
What about liability coverage?
Minimum liability coverage is required for non-owner SR22 policy in Texas. If you feel like you need more coverage limits – you’ll have that option to upgrade and purchase more coverage.
Please note that non owner SR22 will act as secondary insurance and will be used after reaching coverage limits of primary insurance policy of the vehicle owner.
As an example, let’s say you borrow a car from a person who authorized you to drive it and you have a car accident. In that case, primary insurance policy of the vehicle owner will pay the claims up to the limits.
If limits are not enough to cover all the costs and exceed the coverage limits, then non owner SR22 will be activated cover the rest of claims up to its limits.
Can non-owner SR22 policy be upgraded to owner policy?
Non-owner SR22 insurance in Texas can be upgraded to owner policy. You will need to contact your agent for details and vehicle information. Basically, your vehicle will be added to your policy.
In fact your policy premiums will likely to be increased based on your vehicle year/model/make.
Non-owner SR22 insurance is not designed for teenagers that use parent’s cars. If your kids have valid driver’s license – then you need to add them to your policy.
Think twice, as that will increase your costs!
Let’s wrap up:
- This insurance will cover third party liability
- This is not a replacement for regular non-owner insurance policy
- This is not an insurance for teenagers
Why do you need SR22 in Texas?
You will be mandated by the state to carry SR22 in order to reinstate driver’s license for the following reasons:
- If you have too many traffic points on your record
- Driving under the influence of alcohol (DUI) or driving while intoxicated (DWI)
- As a result of refusal to take blood or breath tests at DUI checkpoints or traffic stops
- If you caught on driving or got into an accident without valid insurance policy
- Reckless and dangerous driving
- Other legal judgments
What is the cost of SR22 insurance in Texas?
The cost of SR22 insurance in Texas is relatively low to the prices for regular type of insurance. In fact, there is no standard price that is set to this policy.
Your final price will be calculated based on five main factors:
- Your previous driving history
- Car make/year/model
- Driving habits, how often do you need a car
- Credit History
$25/month is the maximum cost for SR22 insurance in Texas that we met on a market. We offer outstanding prices that are as low as $15/month.
Your price can be even lower if you qualify for discounts.
The best way to get your personalized offer is to fill out our quote form with all the details about your case. One of our licensed agents will be calling you back with the quote that you will definitely like.
What is the process of getting SR22 insurance in Texas?
SR22 insurance can be issued by the company that has a license to provide such services. Select Insurance group is licensed coast to coast to provide best plans on a market.
One of our licensed agents will find best solution for your current situation. Generally speaking, your rates will be based on your driving history.
Once we receive your payment on SR22 policy, your request on SR22 will be transferred to the central office. Right after that certification will be transferred to the State’s Secretary in Austin, TX.
On average this process can take as long as 30 days. Once approved, a client will have a copy of his SR22 policy following by a letter from the Texas State Secretary.
What is necessary to know about SR22?
You have to maintain SR22 policy for 3 years. Be sure to be aware of the status of your policy right after approval.
In case when person fails to maintain the policy – SR22 will be suspended. If SR22 lapses or terminated, the government will inform appropriate services with SR26 cancelling certification.
Once proceeded Security and Financial Responsibility Section will generate a form action 05.
This suspension will remain on your record and cannot be removed. The only way to remove it is to reinstate the coverage filing.
Is there anything specific about SR22 in Texas?
There are slight differences between SR22 requirements in different states. Some of them expected in certain states but not necessary in another.
Specifically for Texas SR22:
Let’s say a person carry his SR22 in Texas and willing to move to some other state. By moving to other state it is necessary to fulfill the SR22 filing period for Texas prior moving.
Also please keep in mind of new state liability minimums that required by law in current state.
Moving to other state while on SR22 in Texas
Example: From Texas to California.
So let’s say you are currently carrying SR22 in Texas and willing to move to California. You ought to maintain your SR22 coverage in Texas right until 3-year period is over.
Even if you already have your California SR22 policy – you still need to maintain your Texas policy until your probationary period is over.
Example: From California to Texas.
Texas will not require driver to carry his SR22 policy according to driver records in California. That means you ought not to file SR22 with Texas when moving from California.
How to get cheap SR22 insurance in Texas?
We’ve tried to come up with some bullet points on how to possibly lower SR22 insurance premiums:
- Set up with a larger deductible for your policy. Make sure you can afford such deductible in case of an emergency.
- Get some old vehicle. This will be a good option to use some 10+ year old car. It should not be financed by any institution to prevent mandatory full coverage. It should be slow and not be considered as risky car. After SR22 requirement is over – you can always revert back to your original car.
- Good driving record by the time when coverage was active. Insurance company may check one more time/run another report by the time of renewal. Maybe some options will come up. That might reduce premiums eventually.
- Please also review your current insurance policy. Maybe you are qualified for some discounts if you previously had other vehicles insured. There might opportunity to drop extensive coverage from other vehicles.
Even if you are a high-risk driver and required to carry SR22 in Texas – you still may be eligible for discounts like anti-theft systems, ABS, airbags etc.
- Don’t forget to check with DMV if you still a high-risk driver and need to carry SR22. Unless you know your end date of course. In case you no longer need SR22 – your insurance rates may roll back to original level.
- It is always good to periodically review your policy with your insurance provider in case some of your penalties worn off. That will help to make sure you are not paying extra and using only essential features.
- By carrying only liability insurance policy you possible can save up to 50%. The case is that collision and full coverage protection may be too expensive. Especially when you carry SR22. Also take a look at states law to see what the minimum liability requirements are. Maybe you are on a higher level at his time. It is important to find perfect balance between savings and common sense.
- It is also possible to carry SR22 with motorbike. In case you have motorcycle in your garage that might be a good option for you. It will cost much less then car insurance. In case your insurance provider does not offer motorcycle insurance – shop around. There are plenty of options to choose from.
Please call us today in case you need cheapest SR22 insurance policy. Our licensed agents work with even hard to insure drivers. We can meet the needs of even hard to insure drivers.